Showing 41 results

People and Organisations
Building

Learning Resources Centre

  • Building

The Learning Resources Centre at 105 Borough Road was built as centre for the University's computing and electronic resources and also to house the language centre. Work began on 17th July 1995 and was officially opened on 19 September 1996 by Lord Sheppard of Didgemere.

London Road Building

  • Building
  • 1975-

London Road building was officially opened in 1975 and housed the Polytechnic's library and Business School. The building was designed for the Westminster College by John Weller under Peter Jones (GLC Education Architect) and was built on the site of the former Old Queen's Head pub at 117 London Road. The building is still in use and houses offices, lecture theatres, gymnasium and sports hall. The library was also housed in London Road until it transferred to the Perry Library, originally the Centenary Library, in 1993.

Manor House, Battersea College of Education

  • Building
  • 1950-1990s

Manor House, situated on Clapham Common Northside in Wandsworth was built in the early 19th Century and was originally called The Beeches. A grammar school for boys used it from 1906 adding several extensions and closing in 1939. The building was requisitioned by the Army during World War 2 and afterwards offered to the Battersea Domestic Science Department who moved there by September 1950. From then on Manor House was used by Battersea College of Education, who added two major extensions and went on to merge with the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1976. The training of teachers and Domestic Economy took place there until South Bank University sold the site in the 1990s.

Manresa House

  • Building

Battersea College of Education acquired Manresa House in Roehampton, in September 1962. It became the Battersea Training College for Primary Teachers, providing day courses for men and women, which began on 30th April 1963. Manresa House was closed in 1979 and primary education students were transferred to Rachel McMillan College.

The building was subsequently purchased by the University of Roehampton and re-named Parkstead House.

McLaren House, Halls of Residence

  • Building
  • 1994-

McLaren House Halls of Residence at 1 St George's Circus, Southwark were officially opened in May 1994 and named after Christopher McLaren, the then Chancellor. The building stands on the site of the former Royal Eye Hospital.

Metal Block

  • Building
  • 1968-

The Metal Block, Tower Block, Extension Block and Joseph Lancaster Block at 103 Borough Road, Southwark were officially opened on 9 July 1969 by the Duke of Edinburgh. The buildings were designed by Norman & Dawbarn Architects who also designed the Polytechnic's Turney Road sports pavilion and the BBC Television Centre at Shepherds Bush.

New Kent Road halls of residence

  • Building
  • 1907-

New Kent Road Halls of Residence at 83 New Kent Road, Southwark were built in 1905 on the site of a large villa. The building originally housed the Morning Post Embankment Home and also the Borthwick Teaching Training College. The site was purchased by the Polytechnic to house Rachel McMillan College's Education courses. The Polytechnic's nursery was briefly housed there until it moved to the George Overend Building on Keyworth Street (now the site of K2). During 1989-90 the building was converted into halls of residence and is still in use.

Passmore Centre

  • Building
  • 1899-

The University's Passmore Centre building was designed by CJ Phipps and Arthur Blomfield Jackson and opened as a public library in 1899. It was original called the Passmore Edwards Library, having been paid for by John Passmore Edwards, a Victorian philanthropist. It was later known as the St. George the Martyr Library and after it became part of Southwark Council's network of libraries it was called the Borough Road Library. It was purchased by South Bank University and converted to a nursery in September 1993. The nursery closed in 2011. The Passmore Centre opened as a business skills and training hub designed to provide access for local people and businesses to high quality apprenticeships and other forms of employer-supported study on 28 November 2018.

The building is Grade II listed (building No. 470670, listed 17 September 1998 - Listing NGR: TQ3173879494) and constructed of red brick and terracotta with a pitched, tiled roof in the Art Nouveau style.

Perry Library

  • Building
  • 1992-present

The Perry Library at 250 Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark was formed from the refurbishment of the Kiers Building, part of the Ake Larssen Development. Prior to that in 1988 the site yielded interesting pre-and post-Roman remains. The Kiers Building was purchased by the Polytechnic in 1991 and opened to students in September 1992, though it was not officially opened until July 1993. It was first called the Centenary Library to mark the Polytechnic's 100th anniversary and was renamed in honour of Pauline Perry, South Bank University's first Vice Chancellor and former Director of South Bank Polytechnic.

Red Cross Hall and Garden

  • Building

Red Cross Hall and Garden opened in 1887 in Southwark. They were both open to the public to be used by local residents.

Rotary Street Building

  • Building

The Rotary Street Building was built in 1836 as a Methodist chapel and in the 1890s became St. George's Primary School. The university leased the building in the 1960s for teaching and then used it to house the Students' Union until 1990. It was demolished in 2017.

The foundation stone plaque read:
"National and Parochial Schools of St George the Martyr Southwark, founded AD 1698, sometime situate the boys school in Union Street, afterwards called Lancaster Street, and the Girls School in premises adjoining the Church. Removed in 1839 to the Borough Road where the two schools were united. This foundation stone was laid by Harriette Caroline Gardiner 30th October 1901"

St George's Chapel

  • Building
  • 1846-

St. George's Chapel, 109-112 Borough Road, is a Grade II listed Presbyterian chapel dated from 1846 which was later part of the adjacent rotary printing-press works which are now demolished. In 2006 the University planed to developed the site to host a new Primary Care Centre and Student Centre. These plans were later abandoned, with the Student Centre being instead built adjacent to Borough Road Building.

Stanley Gymnasium

  • Building

The Stanley Gymnasium was used by female staff and students of the Borough Polytechnic Institute and was opened in November 1904. By the 1970s it was no longer used as a gymnasium and was known as Stanley Hall. It was briefly used to house the Borough Road library from 1975 until it transferred to the new library in London Road Building.

Surrey Lodge

  • Building

Surrey Lodge was a Halls of Residence at 1 Marton Place leased from Lambeth Council and opened in 1983. It is no longer used by the University.

Technopark

  • Building
  • 1980-

South Bank Techopark at 90 London Road, Southwark was conceived, named and completed due to the former Director of South Bank Polytechnic (now LSBU), Dr John Beishon. It was the first technology centre of its kind to be developed by a Polytechnic and was funded by the private sector. Original finance came from the Sainsbury Foundation and Department of Trade & Industry in 1980 and later was financed by the Prudential Assurance Company to the sum of £7 million. Work began in the early 1980s and the Mayor and Mayoress of Southwark were invited to bury a time capsule to mark the beginning of work.

The first phase was opened 9 December 1985 by Geoffrey Pattie M.P. Minister of State for Industry & Information Technology. South Bank Technopark Phase II was opened 30th September 1987 by the Rt Hon Lord Young of Gaffham, Secretary of State for Trade & Industry. The building is still in use by London South Bank University and an Admissions & Recruitment Centre was opened in it on 4 October 2007 by Lord David Triesman of Tottenham, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Intellectual Property & Quality.

The Tavern

  • Building

The Tavern was one of the Student Union venues in the George Overend Building on Keyworth Street. It was styled as a traditional pub.

Tower and Extension Blocks

  • Building
  • 1969-

The Tower Block, Metal Block, Extension Block and Joseph Lancaster Block at 103 Borough Road, Southwark were officially opened on 9 July 1969 by the Duke of Edinburgh. The buildings were designed by Norman & Dawbarn Architects who also designed the Polytechnic's Turney Road sports pavilion and the BBC Television Centre at Shepherds Bush.

The Tower Restaurant opened in 1990 and was situated on the third floor of Tower Block. The Students Refectory was located on the second floor of Tower Block.

Turney Road Sports Ground

  • Building

The University has had sports facilities in Dulwich from very early on. The Borough Polytechnic initially rented a field at Red Post Hill from the Governors of the Dulwich College Estate as a space for athletics. As the Institute grew the field became insufficient and in 1909 a larger field of nine acres was leased at Burbage Road and Turney Road. and the first sports ground was built on by William Penn School. In 1933 the playing field was extended by an additional eleven acres and in 1938 a pavilion was built, which was used during WW2 by the Army for barrage balloons.

Uplands, Hall of Residence

  • Building

This student accommodation was built in the early 1960s for the Phillippa Fawcett College of Education and was situated in a residential area of Streatham. It comprised five blocks of accommodation with a total of 264 single study bedrooms, a boiler house, Caretaker's house and Principal's House. During the 1970s and 1980s it was owned and run by the Inner London Education Authority (ILEA) and housed students from various London Polytechnics. After ILEA was abolished in 1990 the building transferred to South Bank Polytechnic, a major user of the accommodation, on the understanding that one third of the accommodation would be used by students at the Polytechnic of Central London. The building was sold in 1997 as part of what was now South Bank University's strategy to have all accommodation within walking distance of the campus.

Victoria Gymnasium

  • Building

The Victoria Gymnasium was used by male staff and students of the Borough Polytechnic Institute. It was opened in December 1898 and was funded in part by money raised from hiring out roof space to the public for viewing Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee procession which passed down Borough Road.

Results 21 to 40 of 41