Turney Road Sports Ground

Identity area

Type of entity

Building

Authorized form of name

Turney Road Sports Ground

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The University has had sports facilities in Dulwich from very early on. The Borough Polytechnic initially rented a field at Red Post Hill from the Governors of the Dulwich College Estate as a space for athletics. As the Institute grew the field became insufficient and in 1909 a larger field of nine acres was leased at Burbage Road and Turney Road. and the first sports ground was built on by William Penn School. In 1933 the playing field was extended by an additional eleven acres and in 1938 a pavilion was built, which was used during WW2 by the Army for barrage balloons.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places