Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
- Nursery Building
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The University's Passmore Centre building was designed by CJ Phipps and Arthur Blomfield Jackson and opened as a public library in 1899. It was original called the Passmore Edwards Library, having been paid for by John Passmore Edwards, a Victorian philanthropist. It was later known as the St. George the Martyr Library and after it became part of Southwark Council's network of libraries it was called the Borough Road Library. It was purchased by South Bank University and converted to a nursery in September 1993. The nursery closed in 2011. The Passmore Centre opened as a business skills and training hub designed to provide access for local people and businesses to high quality apprenticeships and other forms of employer-supported study on 28 November 2018.
The building is Grade II listed (building No. 470670, listed 17 September 1998 - Listing NGR: TQ3173879494) and constructed of red brick and terracotta with a pitched, tiled roof in the Art Nouveau style.