Manor House, Battersea College of Education

Identity area

Type of entity

Building

Authorized form of name

Manor House, Battersea College of Education

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1950-1990s

History

Manor House, situated on Clapham Common Northside in Wandsworth was built in the early 19th Century and was originally called The Beeches. A grammar school for boys used it from 1906 adding several extensions and closing in 1939. The building was requisitioned by the Army during World War 2 and afterwards offered to the Battersea Domestic Science Department who moved there by September 1950. From then on Manor House was used by Battersea College of Education, who added two major extensions and went on to merge with the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1976. The training of teachers and Domestic Economy took place there until South Bank University sold the site in the 1990s.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Battersea College of Education (1894-1976)

Identifier of related entity

AR/7

Category of relationship

associative

Type of relationship

Battersea College of Education

is the provider of

Manor House, Battersea College of Education

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places