Showing 43 results

People and Organisations
Ingall House
AR/24 · Building · 1950-1990s

Ingall House was built around 1870 and in 1950 became the first halls of residence used by the National College of Heating, Ventilating, Refrigeration and Fan Engineering to house in dormitories up to thirty teenage recruits on full-time courses. It was named after Dr Douglas Ingall, the first Director of the National College and was located at 8 Dulwich Wood Park. The building was included in the merger that formed the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1970s and continued to provide student accommodation, though it was altered to provide 28 study bedrooms instead of the original 44. In the early 1990s the Polytechnic (now South Bank University) devised a new accommodation strategy whereby all halls of residence would be within walking distance of the Southwark campus. Consequently the University terminated the lease on Ingall House.

Wandsworth Road building
Building · 1970-2003

Wandsworth Road building was purpose-built to house South Bank Polytechnic's Faculty of the Built Environment and Vauxhall College of Further Education. The foundation stone was laid in 1970 and the buildings were in use by 1973, although was not officially opened until 1975. In 2003 the building was sold and has since been converted to private residential flats.

Building · 1907-

New Kent Road Halls of Residence at 83 New Kent Road, Southwark were built in 1905 on the site of a large villa. The building originally housed the Morning Post Embankment Home and also the Borthwick Teaching Training College. The site was purchased by the Polytechnic to house Rachel McMillan College's Education courses. The Polytechnic's nursery was briefly housed there until it moved to the George Overend Building on Keyworth Street (now the site of K2). During 1989-90 the building was converted into halls of residence and is still in use.

Eileen House

Eileen House is a tower block comprising a basement, ground floor, and seven upper floors. It was leased by the University from Southwark County Council until 2012 and housed the Human Resources, Staff Development and Building Services teams.

Turney Road Sports Ground

The University has had sports facilities in Dulwich from very early on. The Borough Polytechnic initially rented a field at Red Post Hill from the Governors of the Dulwich College Estate as a space for athletics. As the Institute grew the field became insufficient and in 1909 a larger field of nine acres was leased at Burbage Road and Turney Road. and the first sports ground was built on by William Penn School. In 1933 the playing field was extended by an additional eleven acres and in 1938 a pavilion was built, which was used during WW2 by the Army for barrage balloons.

Stanley Gymnasium

The Stanley Gymnasium was used by female staff and students of the Borough Polytechnic Institute and was opened in November 1904. By the 1970s it was no longer used as a gymnasium and was known as Stanley Hall. It was briefly used to house the Borough Road library from 1975 until it transferred to the new library in London Road Building.

David Bomberg House
Building · 1999-

The hall of residence at 282-302 Borough High Street was built between June 1999 and September 2000 and was named after David Bomberg who taught Art at the Borough Polytechnic from 1945-1953 and is today recognised as one of the most notable British painters of the twentieth century.

Building · 1994-

McLaren House Halls of Residence at 1 St George's Circus, Southwark were officially opened in May 1994 and named after Christopher McLaren, the then Chancellor. The building stands on the site of the former Royal Eye Hospital.


Courland Grove Hall of Residence was owned by the Polytechnic of the South Bank to house up to 220 students. The halls included a large refectory, student bar and washing facilities. The halls were sold in 1992 and renamed EuroTower.

Building · 1950-1993

Manor House, situated on Clapham Common Northside in Wandsworth was built in the early 19th Century and was originally called The Beeches. A grammar school for boys used it from 1906 adding several extensions and closing in 1939. The building was requisitioned by the Army during World War 2 and afterwards offered to the Battersea Domestic Science Department who moved there by September 1950. From then on Manor House was used by Battersea College of Education, who added two major extensions and went on to merge with the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1976. The training of teachers and Domestic Economy, as well as Management subjects, took place there until South Bank University sold the site in 1993.

Obelisk Dairy

Obelisk Dairy was founded in 1810 at 119 Borough Road near to St. Georges Circus and obelisk. The building has been disused for many years and forms part of London South Bank University's estates.

Cadogan Court

Cadogan Court was a halls of residence for the Battersea Training College, located at 37 Queens Gate Gardens, Kensington.

St George's Chapel
Building · 1846-

St. George's Chapel, 109-112 Borough Road, is a Grade II listed Presbyterian chapel dated from 1846 which was later part of the adjacent rotary printing-press works which are now demolished. In 2006 the University planed to developed the site to host a new Primary Care Centre and Student Centre. These plans were later abandoned, with the Student Centre being instead built adjacent to Borough Road Building.

The Tavern

The Tavern was one of the Student Union venues in the George Overend Building on Keyworth Street. It was styled as a traditional pub.

Borough Road Building
Building · 1891-

103 Borough Road was purchased 1891 to provide accommodation for the Borough Polytechnic Institute, which opened on 30th September 1892. The building was extensively refurbished by Rowland Plumbe. The Victoria Gymnasium for men, St. Olave Workshops and Edric Bayley Schools comprising the physics laboratory, physics lecture theatre and school of cookery opened in December 1898.

In 1908 the Edric Hall was added to the side of the main building, providing examination and entertainment space. In the late 1920s the building was once again altered, this time by W Courtenay Le Maitre, with new floor levels and façade, and an extra storey added. The building and new facilities were officially opened by the Duke of York on 20th February 1930.

The building was hit by two bombs in the early morning of 30th September 1940, causing damage to Edric Hall and the classrooms above and below it. The building was again hit on 11th May 1941, with the bomb landing in the woodwork shop and well area behind the library and Stanley Gymnasium. Incendiary bombs fell on the nights of 16-17th April and 19-20th April 1941, but these caused minimal damage. Refurbishment and repair works were carried out post-war and completed in the 1950s. During the 1960s plans were drawn up for the Tower and Extension Blocks which adjoined Borough Road Building and were completed in 1969.

Joseph Lancaster Block
Building · 1968-

The Joseph Lancaster Block, Tower Block, Metal Block and Extension Block at 103 Borough Road, Southwark were officially opened on 9 July 1969 by the Duke of Edinburgh. The buildings were designed by Norman & Dawbarn Architects who also designed the Polytechnic's Turney Road sports pavilion and the BBC Television Centre at Shepherds Bush.

Tower and Extension Blocks
Building · 1969-

The Tower Block, Metal Block, Extension Block and Joseph Lancaster Block at 103 Borough Road, Southwark were officially opened on 9 July 1969 by the Duke of Edinburgh. The buildings were designed by Norman & Dawbarn Architects who also designed the Polytechnic's Turney Road sports pavilion and the BBC Television Centre at Shepherds Bush.

The Tower Restaurant opened in 1990 and was situated on the third floor of Tower Block. The Students Refectory was located on the second floor of Tower Block.

Keyworth Building
Building · 2003-

The Keyworth Centre was officially opened on 11 December 2003 by the Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP. As well as facilities for conferences and small events the Centre originally provided teaching space for the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences and was a centre of excellence for the university's media courses.

Diary House

Diary House at 77-79 Borough Road, Southwark was a former printing works from the 1860s and 1930s and housed Letts printers. In 1991 South Bank Polytechnic leased the building for the newly incorporated South West London College. The building no longer forms part of the University's estates.

K2 Building
Building · 2009-

The Keyworth II or K2 building opened in 2009 and was designed by Grimshaw Architects. It housed the Faculty of Health and Social Care, the Department for Education, parts of the Department for Sport and Exercise Science and the Centre for Efficient and Renewable Energy in Buildings (CEREB). At the start of construction in 2007 a time capsule was buried on site including a local newspaper, coins dated 2007 and photographs and other materials from the faculties and departments which moved into K2.