Blackwells Bookshop was situated at 119 London Road. The first floor contained office space for London South Bank University staff.
103 Borough Road was purchased 1891 to provide accommodation for the Borough Polytechnic Institute, which opened on 30th September 1892. The building was extensively refurbished by Rowland Plumbe. The Victoria Gymnasium for men, St. Olave Workshops and Edric Bayley Schools comprising the physics laboratory, physics lecture theatre and school of cookery opened in December 1898.
In 1908 the Edric Hall was added to the side of the main building, providing examination and entertainment space. In the late 1920s the building was once again altered, this time by W Courtenay Le Maitre, with new floor levels and façade, and an extra storey added. The building and new facilities were officially opened by the Duke of York on 20th February 1930.
The building was hit by two bombs in the early morning of 30th September 1940, causing damage to Edric Hall and the classrooms above and below it. The building was again hit on 11th May 1941, with the bomb landing in the woodwork shop and well area behind the library and Stanley Gymnasium. Incendiary bombs fell on the nights of 16-17th April and 19-20th April 1941, but these caused minimal damage. Refurbishment and repair works were carried out post-war and completed in the 1950s. During the 1960s plans were drawn up for the Tower and Extension Blocks which adjoined Borough Road Building and were completed in 1969.
Cadogan Court was a halls of residence for the Battersea Training College, located at 37 Queens Gate Gardens, Kensington.
Caxton House at 13-16 Borough Road was built in the 1920s for printing union NATSOPA by E J Williams Architects of Leicester and later used by SOGAT 81. The building was purchased by South Bank Polytechnic in 1988 to house students and staff from Rachel McMillan College. In 1992 it housed the Administration Department of the Polytechnic, including the Vice-Chancellor and later housed the University's staff from the Centre for Learning Support & Development, including the Careers Centre. It currently houses staff from the Confucius Institute, following a 2015 refurbishment carried out by Rivington Street Studio.
The buildings at 113-119 Borough Road and 123-132 London Road were commonly known as the Terraces and were built c.1820. The University purchased the buildings along with the former Duke of Clarence pub at 132 London Road in 1997. These buildings were given Grade II listed status in 2000. In 2011 work began on redeveloping the Terraces and pub, with work being done by the Rivington Street Studio (Hawkins/Brown). The buildings reopened as the Clarence Centre for Enterprise and Innovation in Autumn 2013. Awards for the building include: Winner of the RICS 2015 Award for Regeneration, Civic Trust Commendation 2014, New London Awards 2014 Commendation, Highly Commended for the AJ Retrofit Awards 2014, Shortlisted for the RIBA Awards 2014.
The Centre provides office space to small business alongside retail space, event and exhibition space and meeting rooms. The Centre is also home to the University's Enterprise team.
Courland Grove Hall of Residence was owned by the Polytechnic of the South Bank to house up to 220 students. The halls included a large refectory, student bar and washing facilities. The halls were sold in 1992 and renamed EuroTower.
Dante Road Hall of Residence was built in three phases: Phase I - Dante Road was built in 1993 and consists of five purpose built accommodation blocks with 204 bedrooms. Construction on Phase II - Dante Place and Phase III - Holyoak Road was underway in March 1994 and the blocks were completed in time for the 1995-96 academic year.
The hall of residence at 282-302 Borough High Street was built between June 1999 and September 2000 and was named after David Bomberg who taught Art at the Borough Polytechnic from 1945-1953 and is today recognised as one of the most notable British painters of the twentieth century.
Diary House at 77-79 Borough Road, Southwark was a former printing works from the 1860s and 1930s and housed Letts printers. In 1991 South Bank Polytechnic leased the building for the newly incorporated South West London College. The building no longer forms part of the University's estates.
Edric Hall was officially opened in 1908 and was named after the Polytechnic's founding father Edric Bayley. The hall was used as a space for public lectures, examinations, and social events.
In September 1940 the Borough Polytechnic Institute was hit by German bombs, one of which went through the roof of Borough Road Building into Edric Hall. The Hall was refurbished after the Second World War and was officially opened on 1st December 1951.
Eileen House is a tower block comprising a basement, ground floor, and seven upper floors. It was leased by the University from Southwark County Council until 2012 and housed the Human Resources, Staff Development and Building Services teams.
Erlang House on Blackfriars Road was rented by South Bank University from 1995 until 2009 when the Faculty of Health moved to the new K2 building.
Ethelm House (Waterloo Centre) was situated on Cornwall Road and leased by South Bank University until the late 1990s. It was used as teaching space, primarily for short courses.
The National College Wing, or Faraday Wing as it is now called, was built on a site originally covered by 33 tall narrow houses, a railway signal factory and at least two other workshop blocks. The building was designed by Norman & Dawbarn Architects an opened in 1960 to house the National College for Heating, Ventilating, Refrigeration and Fan Engineering. It was officially opened on 20th November 1961 by the Minister of Education, Sir David Eccles. The College had for many years been linked to the Borough Polytechnic and in 1970 merged with it to form the Polytechnic of the South Bank. The building included specialist laboratories, lecture theatre and a specialist library maintained until the 1980s. In 1991 the building was refurbished and renamed the Faraday Wing in honour of Michael Faraday who was born in Newington Butts.
The Vickers Building on Keyworth Street was formerly used by a printing machine factory company called Vickers and was purchased by the Polytechnic in 1987.
In 1989 South Bank Poly-Enterprises Limited took out a contract with the construction company Mansells Ltd to convert the former Vickers Building into suitable accommodation for the Student Union, as part of an overall conversion programme. There was an agreement between South Bank Poly-Enterprises Limited and South Bank Polytechnic for South Bank Poly-Enterprises Limited to pay all costs incurred and be reimbursed by the Polytechnic.
It was renovated and renamed the George Overend Building, after a former member of the governing body. From September 1990 it housed the Student Union. The building was demolished in 2007 to make way for K2.
Ingall House was built around 1870 and in 1950 became the first halls of residence used by the National College of Heating, Ventilating, Refrigeration and Fan Engineering to house in dormitories up to thirty teenage recruits on full-time courses. It was named after Dr Douglas Ingall, the first Director of the National College and was located at 8 Dulwich Wood Park. The building was included in the merger that formed the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1970s and continued to provide student accommodation, though it was altered to provide 28 study bedrooms instead of the original 44. In the early 1990s the Polytechnic (now South Bank University) devised a new accommodation strategy whereby all halls of residence would be within walking distance of the Southwark campus. Consequently the University terminated the lease on Ingall House.
The Isobar was one of the Student Union venues on the ground floor or the George Overend Building on Keyworth Street.
The Joseph Lancaster Block, Tower Block, Metal Block and Extension Block at 103 Borough Road, Southwark were officially opened on 9 July 1969 by the Duke of Edinburgh. The buildings were designed by Norman & Dawbarn Architects who also designed the Polytechnic's Turney Road sports pavilion and the BBC Television Centre at Shepherds Bush.
The Keyworth II or K2 building opened in 2009 and was designed by Grimshaw Architects. It housed the Faculty of Health and Social Care, the Department for Education, parts of the Department for Sport and Exercise Science and the Centre for Efficient and Renewable Energy in Buildings (CEREB). At the start of construction in 2007 a time capsule was buried on site including a local newspaper, coins dated 2007 and photographs and other materials from the faculties and departments which moved into K2.
The Keyworth Centre was officially opened on 11 December 2003 by the Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP. As well as facilities for conferences and small events the Centre originally provided teaching space for the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences and was a centre of excellence for the university's media courses.