Archief BCE - Battersea College of Education

College Photograph Cookery Lesson Cookery Lesson Battersea Polytechnic Cookery Lesson Cookery Lessons


referentie code



Battersea College of Education


  • 1894-1976 (Vervaardig)



Omvang en medium

18 boxes


Naam van de archiefvormer


Institutionele geschiedenis

Battersea College of Education began life in 1894 as the Battersea Training School of Domestic Economy which formed part of the Women's Studies' Department of Battersea Polytechnic Institute. Eleven full time students started their course in 1894 after a special grant had been given to Battersea Polytechnic by the London County Council to open a teacher training school in domestic economy and in 1895 Battersea was officially recognised as a teachers' training school by the Board of Education. New accommodation was opened in 1903 and in January 1911 the first hall of residence was opened, with further halls provided in 1914.

On 1st August 1948 the LCC took over management of the Department from Battersea Polytechnic and re-designated it Battersea College of Domestic Science. In 1949 the Department moved from the Polytechnic to the Manor House on Clapham Common Northside. A programme of building was undertaken, including a new science block which opened in 1954, and further buildings opening in 1960 and 1968. The College acquired a new site, Manresa House in Roehampton, in September 1962, which became the Battersea Training College for Primary Teachers, providing day courses for men and women, which first began on 30th April 1963.

On 1st April 1965 responsibility for the college was transferred from the LCC to the newly established Inner London Education Authority (ILEA) and became known as the Battersea College of Education. The College became a constituent college of the University of London Institute of Education, with courses leading to a Teachers' Certificate with special reference to domestic subjects and Department of Education and Science recognition of Qualified Teacher Status.

Following the Government's White Paper "A Framework for Expansion" in 1973, the College merged with the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1976. Manresa House was closed in 1979, and primary education students were transferred to Rachel McMillan College, an annexe of which would also come to merge with the Polytechnic. Home Economics students remained at Manor House until the early 1980s when students were transferred to the Polytechnic's Southwark campus.

Geschiedenis van het archief

Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging

Inhoud en structuur

Bereik en inhoud

Records of Battersea College of Education, comprising:

BCE/1 Governance, 1953-1976;

BCE/2 Staff Records, c1900-1991;

BCE/3 Publications, 1892-2003;

BCE/4 Photographs, 1953-1970;

BCE/5 Plans, 1963;

BCE/6 History and Special Events, 1950s-1970s;

BCE/7 Records on the Merger with South Bank Polytechnic, 1973-1976.

BCE/8 Student activities, c.1900-1909;

BCE/9 External publications, 1899-1994.

Waardering, vernietiging en slectie

All records have been appraised as 'retain permanently' in line with the University's Retention Schedules.


None expected.


Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging

Open except for records restricted under the Data Protection Act or the Freedom of Information Act. Please contact the University Archivist for details. 24 hours notice is required for research visits.

Voorwaarden voor reproductie

Taal van het materiaal

  • Engels

Schrift van het materiaal

Taal en schrift aantekeningen

Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen


Verwante materialen

Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen

Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën

Related units of description

The London Metropolitan Archives holds the following records:

Plans of Manresa House, 1967-1968 (Catalogue Reference: ILEA/DBPS/GM/01/023, ILEA/DBPS/GM/01/024)

Photos, (Catalogue Reference: SC/PHL/02/0390-91 SC/PHL/02/0417)

English Heritage Project files on Manresa House, (Catalogue Reference: ACC/3499/EH/07/01/410 ACC/3499/EH/07/01/411 ACC/3499/EH/07/03/026)

Architects Department, Greater London Council- Historic buildings files, (Catalogue Reference: GLC/AR/HB/01/1112)

London County Council Education Officer's Department files on Transfer to London County Council, Visitations and Expansion, (Catalogue Reference: LCC/EO/TRA/02/060-064)

Governors Meetings Papers presented to London County Council Education Officer's Department, 1961-1965, (Catalogue Reference: LCC/EO/TRA/04/042-044)

The National Archives hold the following records:

Reports of the Department of Education and Science, 1945-1967, (Catalogue Reference: ED 115/135 )

Related descriptions


Alternative identifier(s)


Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points


Identificatie van de beschrijving


Identificatiecode van de instelling

Toegepaste regels en/of conventies


Niveau van detaillering

Verwijdering van datering archiefvorming


Taal (talen)



Aantekeningen van de archivaris

London South Bank University Archives Centre

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places