- 1894-1976 (Création/Production)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
Zone du contexte
Nom du producteur
Battersea College of Education began life in 1894 as the Battersea Training School of Domestic Economy which formed part of the Women's Studies' Department of Battersea Polytechnic Institute. Eleven full time students started their course in 1894 after a special grant had been given to Battersea Polytechnic by the London County Council to open a teacher training school in domestic economy and in 1895 Battersea was officially recognised as a teachers' training school by the Board of Education. New accommodation was opened in 1903 and in January 1911 the first hall of residence was opened, with further halls provided in 1914.
On 1st August 1948 the LCC took over management of the Department from Battersea Polytechnic and re-designated it Battersea College of Domestic Science. In 1949 the Department moved from the Polytechnic to the Manor House on Clapham Common Northside. A programme of building was undertaken, including a new science block which opened in 1954, and further buildings opening in 1960 and 1968. The College acquired a new site, Manresa House in Roehampton, in September 1962, which became the Battersea Training College for Primary Teachers, providing day courses for men and women, which first began on 30th April 1963.
On 1st April 1965 responsibility for the college was transferred from the LCC to the newly established Inner London Education Authority (ILEA) and became known as the Battersea College of Education. The College became a constituent college of the University of London Institute of Education, with courses leading to a Teachers' Certificate with special reference to domestic subjects and Department of Education and Science recognition of Qualified Teacher Status.
Following the Government's White Paper "A Framework for Expansion" in 1973, the College merged with the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1976. Manresa House was closed in 1979, and primary education students were transferred to Rachel McMillan College, an annexe of which would also come to merge with the Polytechnic. Home Economics students remained at Manor House until the early 1980s when students were transferred to the Polytechnic's Southwark campus.
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Records of Battersea College of Education, comprising:
BCE/1 Governance, 1953-1976;
BCE/2 Staff Records, c1900-1991;
BCE/3 Publications, 1892-2003;
BCE/4 Photographs, 1953-1970;
BCE/5 Plans, 1963;
BCE/6 History and Special Events, 1950s-1970s;
BCE/7 Records on the Merger with South Bank Polytechnic, 1973-1976.
BCE/8 Student activities, c.1900-1909;
BCE/9 External publications, 1899-1994.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
All records have been appraised as 'retain permanently' in line with the University's Retention Schedules.
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Open except for records restricted under the Data Protection Act or the Freedom of Information Act. Please contact the University Archivist for details. 24 hours notice is required for research visits.
Conditions de reproduction
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Notes de langue et graphie
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
Instruments de recherche
Zone des sources complémentaires
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Unités de description associées
Zone des notes
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle de la description
Identifiant de la description
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles et/ou conventions utilisées
Niveau de détail
Dates de production, de révision, de suppression
Note de l'archiviste
London South Bank University Archives Centre