Rotary Street Building

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Rotary Street Building

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence


        The Rotary Street Building was built in 1836 as a Methodist chapel and in the 1890s became St. George's Primary School. The university leased the building in the 1960s for teaching and then used it to house the Students' Union until 1990. It was demolished in 2017.

        The foundation stone plaque read:
        "National and Parochial Schools of St George the Martyr Southwark, founded AD 1698, sometime situate the boys school in Union Street, afterwards called Lancaster Street, and the Girls School in premises adjoining the Church. Removed in 1839 to the Borough Road where the two schools were united. This foundation stone was laid by Harriette Caroline Gardiner 30th October 1901"


        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points


        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules and/or conventions used


        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion




            Maintenance notes