103 Borough Road was purchased 1891 to provide accommodation for the Borough Polytechnic Institute, which opened on 30th September 1892. The building was extensively refurbished by Rowland Plumbe. The Victoria Gymnasium for men, St. Olave Workshops and Edric Bayley Schools comprising the physics laboratory, physics lecture theatre and school of cookery opened in December 1898.
In 1908 the Edric Hall was added to the side of the main building, providing examination and entertainment space. In the late 1920s the building was once again altered, this time by W Courtenay Le Maitre, with new floor levels and façade, and an extra storey added. The building and new facilities were officially opened by the Duke of York on 20th February 1930.
The building was hit by two bombs in the early morning of 30th September 1940, causing damage to Edric Hall and the classrooms above and below it. The building was again hit on 11th May 1941, with the bomb landing in the woodwork shop and well area behind the library and Stanley Gymnasium. Incendiary bombs fell on the nights of 16-17th April and 19-20th April 1941, but these caused minimal damage. Refurbishment and repair works were carried out post-war and completed in the 1950s. During the 1960s plans were drawn up for the Tower and Extension Blocks which adjoined Borough Road Building and were completed in 1969.