Showing 613 results

People and Organisations
Person · 1925-2008

Lawrence Hadley was born in London in 1925, and evacuated to Minehead at the outbreak of the Second World War. On his return to London he became an apprentice with a mechanical engineering contractor in central London. During his apprenticeship he studied at the Borough Polytechnic between 1941 and 1946, including the heating and ventilating engineering intensive course in 1944. These courses became the foundation of the National College of Heating, Ventilating, Refrigeration and Fan Engineering when it opened in 1948.
He wrote 60 years later: “I recall my main tutors then being Mr Harwood and Mr Cowan, who managed to keep our attention in spite of the regular flying bombs overhead. I don’t recall the class ever retreating to the shelters – just a quick duck under the desk.”

After completing his apprenticeship he joined Donald Smith and Partners, Consulting Engineers, the forerunner of DSSR. In a letter dated July 1946, confirming his appointment as a draughtsman, Donald Smith himself wrote: “We trust you will find your work for us congenial and can assure you that you will have ample opportunities for enlarging your experience”.

Laurie Hadley’s relationship with DSSR lasted 41 years. He was a partner for 30, and senior partner for six. He rapidly involved himself with a number of committees, sub-committees and working parties for professional institutes and learned bodies. He became a council member of the Association of Consulting Engineers, a member of the Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management in 1972, and later a Fellow, and became involved with a number of other engineering institutions, including the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers.

He became a liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Plumbers in 1976 and was the livery company’s senior steward from 2002. In 1977 he was chairman of the National Joint Consultative Committee for Building, and in 1978 president of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers. He was elected president of IHEEM for the years 1983-1985 and to the same role at the International Federation of Hospital Engineering for the years 1998-2000.
In 1986 he was awarded the OBE for services to hospital engineering, and even after retirement he continued to support professional engineers - finally stepping down from the IHEEM Journal Committee in December 2006 and the Institute’s International Committee in January 2007. He died in 2008.

Building · 1950-1993

Manor House, situated on Clapham Common Northside in Wandsworth was built in the early 19th Century and was originally called The Beeches. A grammar school for boys used it from 1906 adding several extensions and closing in 1939. The building was requisitioned by the Army during World War 2 and afterwards offered to the Battersea Domestic Science Department who moved there by September 1950. From then on Manor House was used by Battersea College of Education, who added two major extensions and went on to merge with the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1976. The training of teachers and Domestic Economy, as well as Management subjects, took place there until South Bank University sold the site in 1993.

Geddes, Tommy

Dean of Quality Initiatives and Executive Assistant to the Vice-Chancellor, 1992.

Smith, Maxwell

Dean of Faculty of Built Environment, 1973 and previously Head of Estate Management department.

South London College
Corporate body · 1974-1993

In 1974 Norwood Technical College was renamed as South London College. It operated until 1993, when the College merged with Vauxhall College and Brixton College of Further Education to become Lambeth College.

Norwood Technical Institute
Corporate body · 1895-1950

Norwood Technical College, also known as The Lower Norwood Working Men's Institute, was endowed by the Scottish philanthropist Arthur Anderson (1792-1868) to benefit the local community in 1860. As well as founder of the college, Anderson co-founded the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O) (1840) and was a Liberal MP for the Orkney and Shetland Constituency (1847-1852).

In 1895 Lower Norwood Working Men's Institute merged with London County Council (LCC) classes to become Norwood Technical Institute as a branch of the Borough Polytechnic Institute. The Borough Polytechnic Institute Governors managed the Institute from 1895 until 1905 at the cost of the LCC. In 1905 the Institute became independent as one of the first fully maintained technical institutions of the LCC. During the war years 1939-1945, the college figured prominently as a centre for training wireless mechanics and operators. After the war, science and technical courses expanded and the Jackson Building was opened.

The Institute was renamed Norwood Technical College in 1950 later South London College in 1974. The College's original site was closed in the late 1990s and the site was cleared in 2000. South London College, Brixton College and Vauxhall College merged in 1992 to become Lambeth College.

Norwood Technical College
Corporate body · 1950-1974

Norwood Technical College was originally known as Norwood Technical Institute. After the Second World War the College expanded its science and technical courses, opening a new building called the Jackson Building. In 1968/1969 the College expanded again and acquired an annex on Tooley Street near Tower Bridge which offered technician courses in applied science and dentistry. In September 1974 the College was renamed South London College.

Brixton College
Corporate body · 1959-1992

Brixton College opened at 56 Brixton Hill in 1959 and closed in 1992. It also held courses at various annexes across the borough. In the beginning the college was founded to ‘continue and extend the education of those who have passed the age of compulsory full-time education, to help those who are already employed to qualify themselves for advancement in their vocations and for the wider responsibilities of adult citizenship, and to give vocational training to those who have not entered employment,’ (Brixton College for Further Education prospectus 1965-1965).
In 1992 Brixton College merged with Vauxhall College and South London College to become Lambeth College.

Corporate body

Originally at 54-56 Brixton Hill, the School evacuated to Reading in 1939 but numbers fell and the school returned to London in 1940. Unable to return to their original building, the School moved to the Brixton Commercial Institute on Southey Street.

Surrey Lodge

Surrey Lodge was a Halls of Residence at 1 Morton Place leased from Lambeth Council and opened in 1983. It is no longer used by the University.