Showing 613 results

People and Organisations
Edric Hall
Building · 1908-

Edric Hall was officially opened in 1908 and was named after the Polytechnic's founding father Edric Bayley. The hall was used as a space for public lectures, examinations, and social events.
In September 1940 the Borough Polytechnic Institute was hit by German bombs, one of which went through the roof of Borough Road Building into Edric Hall. The Hall was refurbished after the Second World War and was officially opened on 1st December 1951.

Caxton House
Building · 1920s-present

Caxton House at 13-16 Borough Road was built in the 1920s for printing union NATSOPA by E J Williams Architects of Leicester and later used by SOGAT 81. The building was purchased by South Bank Polytechnic in 1988 to house students and staff from Rachel McMillan College. In 1992 it housed the Administration Department of the Polytechnic, including the Vice-Chancellor and later housed the University's staff from the Centre for Learning Support & Development, including the Careers Centre. It currently houses staff from the Confucius Institute, following a 2015 refurbishment carried out by Rivington Street Studio.

Dante Road Hall of Residence

Dante Road Hall of Residence was built in three phases: Phase I - Dante Road was built in 1993 and consists of five purpose built accommodation blocks with 204 bedrooms. Construction on Phase II - Dante Place and Phase III - Holyoak Road was underway in March 1994 and the blocks were completed in time for the 1995-96 academic year.

Rotary Street Building

The Rotary Street Building was built in 1836 as a Methodist chapel and in the 1890s became St. George's Primary School. The university leased the building in the 1960s for teaching and then used it to house the Students' Union until 1990. It was demolished in 2017.

The foundation stone plaque read:
"National and Parochial Schools of St George the Martyr Southwark, founded AD 1698, sometime situate the boys school in Union Street, afterwards called Lancaster Street, and the Girls School in premises adjoining the Church. Removed in 1839 to the Borough Road where the two schools were united. This foundation stone was laid by Harriette Caroline Gardiner 30th October 1901"

Blackwells building

Blackwells Bookshop was situated at 119 London Road. The first floor contained office space for London South Bank University staff.

Erlang House
Building · 1995-2009

Erlang House on Blackfriars Road was rented by South Bank University from 1995 until 2009 when the Faculty of Health moved to the new K2 building.

Perry Library
Building · 1992-present

The Perry Library at 250 Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark was formed from the refurbishment of the Kiers Building, part of the Ake Larssen Development. Prior to that in 1988 the site yielded interesting pre-and post-Roman remains. The Kiers Building was purchased by the Polytechnic in 1991 and opened to students in September 1992, though it was not officially opened until July 1993. It was first called the Centenary Library to mark the Polytechnic's 100th anniversary and was renamed in honour of Pauline Perry, South Bank University's first Vice Chancellor and former Director of South Bank Polytechnic.

London Road Building
Building · 1975-

London Road building was officially opened in 1975 and housed the Polytechnic's library and Business School. The building was designed for the Westminster College by John Weller under Peter Jones (GLC Education Architect) and was built on the site of the former Old Queen's Head pub at 117 London Road. The building is still in use and houses offices, lecture theatres, gymnasium and sports hall. The library was also housed in London Road until it transferred to the Perry Library, originally the Centenary Library, in 1993.

Learning Resources Centre

The Learning Resources Centre at 105 Borough Road was built as centre for the University's computing and electronic resources and also to house the language centre. Work began on 17th July 1995 and was officially opened on 19 September 1996 by Lord Sheppard of Didgemere.

Building · 1980-

South Bank Techopark at 90 London Road, Southwark was conceived, named and completed due to the former Director of South Bank Polytechnic (now LSBU), Dr John Beishon. It was the first technology centre of its kind to be developed by a Polytechnic and was funded by the private sector. Original finance came from the Sainsbury Foundation and Department of Trade & Industry in 1980 and later was financed by the Prudential Assurance Company to the sum of £7 million. Work began in the early 1980s and the Mayor and Mayoress of Southwark were invited to bury a time capsule to mark the beginning of work.

The first phase was opened 9 December 1985 by Geoffrey Pattie M.P. Minister of State for Industry & Information Technology. South Bank Technopark Phase II was opened 30th September 1987 by the Rt Hon Lord Young of Gaffham, Secretary of State for Trade & Industry. The building is still in use by London South Bank University and an Admissions & Recruitment Centre was opened in it on 4 October 2007 by Lord David Triesman of Tottenham, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Intellectual Property & Quality.

Student Centre
Building · 2012-

The Student Centre was developed as a home for the University's non-academic student support services as well as the Students' Union. It was built in 2012 and opened to staff and students in November that year, though it was officially opened on 20 June 2013 by the University's Chancellor, Richard Farleigh. Guests at the opening ceremony included Simon Hughes MP, representatives from Hawkins\Brown, the building's architects, business partners from the Southwark community and University staff. The ceremony consisted of speeches by the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor and Students' Union President along with a barbeque and student displays.

George Overend Building
Building · 1987-2007

The Vickers Building on Keyworth Street was formerly used by a printing machine factory company called Vickers and was purchased by the Polytechnic in 1987.
In 1989 South Bank Poly-Enterprises Limited took out a contract with the construction company Mansells Ltd to convert the former Vickers Building into suitable accommodation for the Student Union, as part of an overall conversion programme. There was an agreement between South Bank Poly-Enterprises Limited and South Bank Polytechnic for South Bank Poly-Enterprises Limited to pay all costs incurred and be reimbursed by the Polytechnic.
It was renovated and renamed the George Overend Building, after a former member of the governing body. From September 1990 it housed the Student Union. The building was demolished in 2007 to make way for K2.