Fonds SLPI - South London Polytechnic Institutes Council

Identity area

Reference code

SLPI

Title

South London Polytechnic Institutes Council

Date(s)

  • 16 March 1882-28 October 1910 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

3 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1883-1910)

Administrative history

South London Polytechnic Institutes Council was established following the City of London Parochial Charities Act, 1883. In the Act the government's Charity Commissioners were to distribute money to schemes which would improve the physical, social and moral condition of Londoners. Edric Bayley, a solicitor and member of the London School Board, wanted to use the money to establish a people's college in Elephant & Castle, which could help alleviate the extreme poverty he saw in that area as well as help strengthen British industry.

In 1887 Bayley established the South London Polytechnic Institutes Council, whose members included the Lord Mayor of London and the Prince of Wales (the future King Edward VII) as its President. In January 1888 the Council appealed to the Charity Commissioners for the money they needed. The Commissioners were impressed and pledged that they would match any funds raised by the public up to the sum of £150,000 in order to establish three technical colleges, or polytechnics, in South London.

A Committee of the Council had the task of raising the money needed from the public and also of deciding where the three polytechnics should be located. The Committee decided that one should be established at Elephant and Castle (now London South Bank University), another at New Cross (which is now Goldsmiths College) and lastly at Battersea (which eventually moved and became part of the University of Surrey). The public appeal for the money needed was launched at a widely publicised dinner held at Mansion House in June 1888. Within four years £78,000 had been raised through the public's generosity for the Elephant & Castle and Battersea Polytechnics, which was matched by the Charity Commissioners.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Contains the records of South London Polytechnic Institutes Council, comprising:

SLPI/1 Committee minutes, 1887-1888;

SLPI/2 Correspondence, Appeals and Reports, 1887-1894;

SLPI/3 Finance, 1888-1891;

SLPI/4 Letters to Newspapers, 1882-1901;

SLPI/5 South London Polytechnic Institutes (Borough Road Site) Act 1890.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

All files in this collection have been appraised as 'retain permanently' according to the University's Record Retention Schedules.

Accruals

Not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open except for records restricted under the Data Protection Act or the Freedom of Information Act. Please contact the University Archivist for details. 24 hours notice is required for research visits.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

GB-2110-

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

22/06/2020

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

London South Bank University Archives Centre

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places