Showing 637 results

Authority record

Borough Polytechnic Institute Day Trade School for Girls

  • Corporate body
  • 1904-1947

The Borough Polytechnic Institute Day Trade School for Girls was established as the Waistcoat Making School - a trade school for girls - in October 1904 with 11 pupils. The trades taught soon expanded to include dressmaking and upholstery (in 1905) and ladies' tailoring and laundrywork (in 1908) and the School was renamed the Day Trade School for Girls. In 1947 the School was amalgamated with the Paragon Girls' Secondary Technical School, New Kent Road.

Borough Road Building

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-

103 Borough Road was purchased 1891 to provide accommodation for the Borough Polytechnic Institute, which opened on 30th September 1892. The building was extensively refurbished by Rowland Plumbe. The Victoria Gymnasium for men, St. Olave Workshops and Edric Bayley Schools comprising the physics laboratory, physics lecture theatre and school of cookery opened in December 1898.

In 1908 the Edric Hall was added to the side of the main building, providing examination and entertainment space. In the late 1920s the building was once again altered, this time by W Courtenay Le Maitre, with new floor levels and façade, and an extra storey added. The building and new facilities were officially opened by the Duke of York on 20th February 1930.

The building was hit by two bombs in the early morning of 30th September 1940, causing damage to Edric Hall and the classrooms above and below it. The building was again hit on 11th May 1941, with the bomb landing in the woodwork shop and well area behind the library and Stanley Gymnasium. Incendiary bombs fell on the nights of 16-17th April and 19-20th April 1941, but these caused minimal damage. Refurbishment and repair works were carried out post-war and completed in the 1950s. During the 1960s plans were drawn up for the Tower and Extension Blocks which adjoined Borough Road Building and were completed in 1969.

Borough Road Gallery

  • Corporate body

The Borough Gallery was established with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to exhibit A David Bomberg Legacy - The Sarah Rose Collection, a collection of paintings and drawings by the artist David Bomberg and members of the Borough Group. The collection was built up over thirty years by Sarah Rose and includes over 150 works spanning a period of nearly 100 years. The Gallery is dedicated to exhibiting work from the collection and to carrying out a related programme of exhibitions, events and education activities.

The official opening event included speeches by the guest of honour Alan Yentob, Creative Director at the BBC as well as Wesley Kerr, Chair of the London Committee, Heritage Lottery Fund and Sarah Rose. Special guests included Cliff Holden and Dennis Creffield who were members of the Borough Group.

Borough Road Training College

  • Corporate body
  • 1804-

London South Bank University's Borough Road building was the former residence of the Borough Road Training College. The site was purchased from the College in 1890 and remodelled to accommodate the Borough Polytechnic Institute which opened in 1892. The Training College moved to Isleworth in West London and eventually became a part of Brunel University.

Brake, Frank

  • Person

Frank Brake studied at the Borough Polytechnic Institute and went on to found Brake Brothers, a leading UK supplier of food to the catering industry. He has established the Frank Brake Scholarship at London South Bank University, providing financial support for four students each year on the MSc Enterprise and MSc Food Safety and Control courses. He was made an Honorary Fellow of the University in 2012.

British and Foreign School Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1808-present

The British and Foreign School Society was founded in 1808 as the Society for Promoting the Lancastrian System for the Education of the Poor and was renamed in 1814. The Society built Borough Road building in 1816 and sold it to the South London Polytechnic Institute Council in 1890 in order to become the main premises of the Borough Polytechnic Institute.

Records of the Society are held by Brunel University.

British Computer Society

  • Person

The conference was chaired by a member of University staff and was held in London Road Building, with delegates staying in the McLaren House halls of residence. The conference also incorporated the first European Usability Professionals Association Conference.

British Youth Opera

  • Corporate body

The British Youth Opera (BYO) was established in 1987 by Denis Coe, to provide additional training and performance opportunities for outstanding young musicians and experience to young stage, design and costume staff. Company members aged 22-30 years are recruited nationally each year for a Summer Season which features two major operas performed at Sadler's Wells, London and in at least one other major city. The Company also appears in concerts, galas and other musical events throughout the year. Many former members of BYO are now principals with major opera companies in the UK and abroad. The BYO's rehearsal facilities are based at London South Bank University, formerly South Bank University.

Brixton School of Building

  • AR/10
  • Corporate body
  • 1904-1970

The London County Council School of Building was opened on 26th February 1904 with Mr H W Richards as Principal to provide a specialist training college for the large number of building workers in Camberwell and Lambeth. The Lambeth Polytechnic building in Ferndale Road, Brixton was renovated to contain workshops for painting and decorating, carpentry and joinery and a drawing office. When it first opened, 643 students enrolled on classes covering stone carving, plasterers' modelling, drawing, chemistry and physics of building materials, land surveying and levelling The School soon gained a world-wide reputation as a centre of excellence in the fields of town pla ing, building technology, estate management and building architecture.

In 1906 a school of architecture was added which was organised by Professor Beresford Pite of the Royal Academy of Art. Demand for courses increased rapidly so that in 1908 the School added a Junior Day Technical College for Boys and then a Senior Day Technical School as well as a new extension in 1909. In 1910 five-year courses were introduced in all trade subjects, followed in 1911 by a four year course in reinforced concrete and in 1912 a course in structural engineering all examined by the City and Guilds of London Institute. In 1921 Mr A R Sage became Principal (the Sage Medallion was in the possession of the former Vauxhall College). In 1922, Sir Robert Blair (LCC Education Officer) wrote, 'the Brixton School is easily the first and most complete school of building in the world'. In 1927 until 1943 Mr F E Drury became Principal. The Board of Education classified the School as a College of Further Education in 1928 and the following year a three year day course was introduced leading to the Ordinary and Higher National Diploma in Building or the Intermediate Examination of the Royal Institute of British Architects or the Chartered Surveyors Institute.

In 1943 it became the Brixton School of Building, in March 1945 Mr D A G Reid CBE became Principal and after the Second World War the School rapidly expanded so that by 1949 the number of full time students exceeded 400, studying courses in architecture, surveying and structural engineering. In 1956 Brixton was designated a regional college, and the governors decided not to concentrate on work at higher levels, but to retain its craft work and lower level teaching. Under the government's policy for higher education, given in the White Paper 'A Plan for Polytechnics and Other Colleges', published in 1966, the higher level studies at Brixton would have to be continued within a new institution based on the polytechnic model. Brixton School of Building became part of the Polytechnic of the South Bank in 1970, along with the Borough Polytechnic, City of Westminster College and the National College for Heating, Ventilating, Refrigeration and Fan Engineering. The last Principal wrote, '1970 marked the end of the begi ing; the School of Building had faithfully served many days and generations of students but to the work it was doing there is no end'.

Five of the six departments from Brixton became the new Polytechnic's Faculty of Construction, Technology and Design. The sixth department, along with some work from other departments formed the Vauxhall College of Further Education. The Faculty moved into the new purpose-designed Wandsworth Road building, on the Wandsworth Road, during the summer of 1973, a decade after the first draft schedule of accommodation was made. The building was officially opened on 17 April 1975 by Anthony Crosland MP. The Faculty became the largest and most comprehensive Built Environment faculty in Europe covering subjects such as Property Development, Waste Management and Architecture. In the summer of 2003 the Wandsworth Road building was sold by London South Bank University and students and staff transferred back to the University's main Southwark campus to form the Faculty of Engineering, Science and the Built Environment.

Results 61 to 80 of 637