The Board of Governors was constituted by the Minister of Education to 'establish a Foundation with the principal object of maintaining a College for providing technical education and research in connection with heating, ventilating, refrigeration and fan engineering' (Declaration of Trust, NC/1/4). The original Board of Governors, appointed by the Minister of Education, had representation from the three industries, the Governors of the Borough Polytechnic and other interests as follows:
Four nominated by the Association of Heating, Ventilating and Domestic Engineering Employers;
Two by the British Refrigeration Association;
Two by the Institute of Refrigeration;
Four by the Fan Manufacturers' Association, Ltd.;
One by the National Union of Operative Heating and Domestic Engineers and General Metalworkers;
Two by the Trades Union Congress;
Four by the Governing Body of the Borough Polytechnic;
Two by London County Council as Local Education Authority;
One by the University of London; and
One by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.
The first chairman of the Governors was Hubert A. Secretan, future Chair of the Governors of the Borough Polytechnic. He was replaced in 1962 by John W. Cooling, one of the founding governors, who remained chairman until 1970.
The Board of Governors, in co-operation with the Governing Body of the Borough Polytechnic, were responsible of the development of the work of the College, including the selection and admission of students, maintenance of buildings and equipment, organisation, staffing and general administration. It had the right to appoint committees and at its first meeting of 20 January 1948 it appointed two committees: the Finance and General Purposes Committee and the Education Committee.
The last meeting of the Board was held on 3 July 1970.